ACTS Jr. (Acting Creates Therapeutic Success) is a unique, creative program designed to integrate children ages 7-17 with and without disabilities together through the use of performing arts. Led by occupational therapists, occupational therapy students, and youth volunteers from the community, this program is unique to Arkansas. ACTS Jr. has touched the lives of numerous children and families in Central Arkansas since 2005.
The system utilized in ACTS Jr. is progressive in nature, and focuses on the process rather than the product of creating a dramatic performance. It allows the performers to build on previously learned skills, while also gaining new ones. Sessions occur one time per week, and culminate in child-driven performances held in the fall and spring, highlighting their creativity and hard work.
ACTS Jr. aims to increase:
- Social skill development
- Motor planning
- Sensory processing and organization
- Cognitive skills
The ACTS Jr. Program provides children and adolescents the opportunity to:
- Participate in a positive extracurricular activity with other children.
- Have access to the performing arts.
- Develop skills important for daily life.
- Experience new learning and growth.
- Enjoy the ability to succeed and experience pride in the process and overall outcome.
- Work together with others to achieve results.
- Reach their maximum potential by fostering a sense of independence and confidence in their abilities.
“Our hope is that the ACTS Jr. program will reach out to children of all abilities and provide a creative means of learning and growing through the use of the performing arts. Each child that has been involved in the program has unique talents and abilities that have shined through to their families, peers, the audience, and most importantly to themselves. We feel blessed to be able to direct this program and build relationships with the wonderful children and adolescents of our community.”
– Lynne Hollaway and Krista Tapp
Dates and times for the Acts Jr. Fall program are still TBD. Subscribe to our newsletter to stay updated on all of our programs!